YOUR QUESTIONS… ANSWERED!
- WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
- We are conveniently located in Newport town, Co Mayo on The Great Western Greenway. Eircode F28 A273
- IS THERE PARKING NEAR THE SHOP?
- Yes. Newport offers FREE PARKING, but we ask you to be mindful of other local businesses if you are parking your car for more than one hour. There is a one hour restriction on the main street but there is generally ample parking on Meddlicott Street just across the bridge from the shop and only a 2 min walk away.
- DO WE NEED TO PRE BOOK IN ADVANCE?
- We recommend that you pre book to avoid disappointment. You can make your booking by clicking HERE.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CYCLE BETWEEN NEWPORT & MULRANNY (18km)?
- Based on an average leisurely cycle, we generally say to allow 2-2.5hrs cycling time.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO CYCLE BETWEEN NEWPORT & ACHILL (31km)?
- Based on an average leisurely cycle, we generally say to allow 3-3.5hrs cycling time.
- ARE YOU RUNNING A SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE?
- Yes. We operate a scheduled service adhering to covid-19 guidelines between Newport & Achill. You can choose the outbound shuttle from Newport to Mulranny or Achill if you wish to cycle back to Newport or we can have you collected in Mulranny or Achill after your cycle from Newport. (Face coverings or masks are recommended if you intend using the bus.)
- WE ARE LOOKING FOR E BIKES, CAN YOU RECOMMEND?
- Of course. We offer two types of E Bike. The cube E Hybrid is suitable for someone that just needs a gentle assistance level and we also offer a Cube E Mountain Bike with a higher powered Bosch motor if you require a little more. All E Bikes are pedal assist meaning you can have a stress free ride on the greenway. You can view all our bikes by clicking HERE.
- DO YOU REQUIRE A DEPOSIT FOR THE HIRE?
- We do take a €75 damage deposit for E Bikes but we don’t require a deposit for standard hybrid bikes. Damage deposits are refunded on return and inspection of the bike. Normal wear and tear is expected, broken components due to falls or misuse will be charged.
- WHAT COMES WITH THE BIKES INCLUDED IN HIRE?
- You get the bike, safety helmet & security lock if required.
- CAN YOU RECOMMEND THE BEST ROUTE IF WE DON’T WANT TO CYCLE THE ENTIRE GREENWAY?
- Yes. We generally recommend Newport to Mulranny (18km) if you are looking to do a shorter cycle. If you are looking for a little more we recommend Newport to Achill (31km). The scenery is outstanding and is one of the reasons for the remarkable success of the Great Western Greenway.
- WE ARE LOOKING TO DO A SHORTER SECTION OF THE GREENWAY OF MAYBE AN HOUR CYCLE. CAN YOU RECOMMEND?
- Yes. We would recommend cycling Newport – Nevins of Newfield (12km) You can cycle one way and return by shuttle or cycle both ways if you wish.
- WE ARE THINKING OF CYCLING NEWPORT TO WESTPORT. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
- Approx 1 hour cycling time. We do, however recommend the section between Newport & Mulranny as it offers better scenery and is a lot more traffic free than the Newport – Westport section of the greenway. Another answer is that most of the images that have been professionally shot for promotion of the Greenway are shot between Newport & Achill to reveal some of the scenery you will experience.
- WHAT HAPPENS IF WE HAVE A PROBLEM OR A PUNCTURE?
- Although our resident bike mechanic works tirelessly throughout the season to ensure everything is as it should be, problems can occur with moving parts! For this reason we introduced Free trailside assistance. We find you at the nearest access point on the greenway, swap your bike and get you back to enjoying your day.
- WHAT WEATHER CAN WE EXPECT? HOW SHOULD WE DRESS?
- Here on the west of Ireland, we are well accustomed to a drop of rain and the sometimes frequent gust of wind. Our advice is, Dress for the weather. Its best not to cycle in heavy clothing that will soak rain and make drying time longer and more uncomfortable. Winter cycling can be just as enjoyable if you bring an extra layer in a backpack to warm you up on colder days.
- TOILETS!? WHATS THE STORY?
- A commonly asked question. Mayo CoCo have kindly provided Porta Loo’s during summer months that you will encounter on the greenway every 5-6 km along the way.
- DO WE HAVE TO PAY A DEPOSIT TO MAKE A BOOKING?
- No. We don’t charge a booking deposit. We trust that should your plans change you will let us know in good time so we can change ours. We do however request a group booking deposit to secure the booking.
- WHAT COVID-19 MEASURES ARE YOU TAKING TO PREVENT SPREAD?
- We are adhering to all hse guidelines for covid prevention.
- WILL THERE BE A WAIT FOR OUR BIKES ON COLLECTION?
- We have a queuing system in place for busy periods. Thank you for your patience.
- WHAT SIZE BIKEs DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR OUR CHILDREN?
- We have included a suggestion chart below but we recommend you check your childs current wheel size to be sure.
|Suggested Bike Size
|9 months -> 5 Years
|6 years -> 7 Years
|Tag Along Bike
|6 years -> 8 Years
|20” Child’s Bike
|9 Years -> 11 Years
|24” Child’s Bike
|12 Years -> 13 Years
|26″ Child’s Bike